TIRES AND AUTO SAFETY
- Number of tires on the road in America in 1999 on non-commercial vehicles (cars and light trucks, including SUV) : 882 million
- Number of tires shipped in 1999 : 316 million
- Miles driven by non-commercial vehicles in 1998 :2.4 trillion
- Occupant fatalities in 1999 in cars and light trucks :35,806
- Number of fatalities in 1999 that involved “tire related factors” :647 or 1.8 percent
- Recommended frequency for visual inspection and air pressure check of all four tires and the spare : one a month and before every long trip.
*(Sources: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Rubber Manufacturers Association)